[PRIMITIVE METHODIST MISSIONARY SOCIETY]
A Primitive Methodist Missionary Society collection box.
[London : Primitive Methodist Missionary Society, 1890 – 1900]. Wooden collection box, 155 x 100 x 65 mm, original chromolithographed label to front, worded ‘Primitive Methodist Missionary Society / Offerings for Home and Colonial Work / Go ye therefore and make disciples of all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem’; underside with remnants of old paper labels.
‘The Primitive Methodist Church did not formally constitute a Missionary Society, though its Missionary Reports used the term from 1843. Overseas work was directed by the General Missionary Committee of the Primitive Methodist Conference. The main Primitive Methodist fields were West Africa (Fernando Po [Bioko, Equatorial Guinea] and Nigeria) and Southern Africa (South Africa and Northern Rhodesia). These fields were transferred to the Methodist Missionary Society upon Methodist Union in 1932. Earlier work in the British colonies of North America and Australasia became autonomous by the end of the 19th century … The first overseas missions were to the British Colonies. In 1829 Primitive Methodist missionaries sailed to the United States, and they entered Canada the following year. Work began in Australia and New Zealand in 1844. Missions in North America and Australia were absorbed by Methodist Churches in those countries and by 1900, the overseas missionary work was focused on Africa. In January 1870 the first missionaries sailed for Africa and settled on the Island of Fernando Po [Bioko, Equatorial Guinea], off the coast of West Africa. Nine months later a mission began in South Africa. From these two pioneer missions sprang two larger ones: Northern Rhodesia (mostly now the Zambia) in 1893 and Nigeria, by far the largest mission, in 1894. PMMS Reports referred to the African work as ‘Foreign Missions’ (as opposed to the ‘Colonial Missions’ in British North America and Australasia).’ (Wesleyan Methodist Missionary Society Archive)