AUSTRALIAN ABORIGINES' MISSION
Australian Aborigines’ advocate : a record of work amongst the dark people of Australia / the organ of the Australian Aborigines’ Mission. May 31, 1927.
Annandale, NSW : T.E. Colebrook, 1927. Small quarto newspaper, 255 x 195 mm, single sheet folding to form 8 pages; illustrated masthead, text in two columns; a little roughened at top edges, a couple of annotations made by the original owner, else a fine copy.
The Australian Aborigines’ Mission (AAM) was an interdenominational Protestant organisation active in most states of Australia between 1908 and 1929. It had grown out of the New South Wales Aborigines’ Mission, founded in 1902. The AAM ran reserves, missions and other institutions in New South Wales, including at La Perouse, Wellington, Bomaderry, Bassendean (Tingha), Burnt Bridge (Kempsey), Stewart Island (Nambucca Heads), and Purfleet (Taree); in the Northern Territory (Harding Soak); in South Australia, including at Quorn, Oodnadatta and Moorilyanna; in Victoria, at Footscray and Swan Reach (Gippsland); and in Western Australia, including at Mt. Morgans, Mt. Margaret, East Perth (Dulhi Gunyah Orphanage), Katanning, Carrolup, Sunday Island, Gnowangerup (later Baptist), and Wotjulum (later Presbyterian). A large proportion of AAM workers were women who elected to live in Indigenous communities and reserves, often in remote locations.
The Australian Aborigines’ advocate was a monthly newspaper circulated by the AAM, which published regular letters received from its far-flung missionaries and provided a general round-up of the Mission’s activities. In 1929 the organisation became the United Aborigines Mission (UAM), and the monthly newspaper changed its name to The United Aborigines Messenger, which continued until 1987. From 1987 until 2003 it was published under the shortened title of Messenger.