HAWKINS, Ernest (1802 - 1868)
The Colonial Church Atlas : arranged in dioceses : with geographical and statistical tables.
London : Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, 1842. First edition. Large quarto, original gilt-lettered cloth boards (a few water stains and chips to the spine), pp  text including statistical tables, xviii plates of maps with hand coloured outlines, [4 – index], the prefatory Notice signed E. H. (i.e. Ernest Hawkins), secretary of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel; maps include the Diocese of Australia, New South Wales; New South Wales, showing the remoter grazing districts; South Australia; Tasmania, and New Zealand; internally very clean and sound, a very good copy.
Presentation inscription in the year of publication to the front free endpaper ‘For the use of the Dunstable Deanery Committee for the Propogation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts with best wishes for their success from Wm Selwyn Canon of Ely A. D. MDCCCXLII’. William Selwyn was a noted clergyman and amateur astronomer. His brother George Augustus Selwyn (1809-1878) would become the first Anglican bishop of New Zealand.
Ernest Hawkins (1802-1868) was at the time Under-Secretary of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. He would be appointed Secretary in 1843, and helped to increase the number of colonial bishoprics from 8 to 47 before his retirement in 1864.
‘Hawkins … prepared The Colonial Church Atlas, which illustrated the world-wide spread of Anglican dioceses, supplemented with geographical and statistical tables. His stated aim was ‘exhibiting, in a striking light, the utter inadequacy of her [the Church’s] present operations in Foreign Parts, and the necessity of a more perfect organisation’.The Atlas was, in other words, the charter for a new, much expanded, role for the [Society for the Promoting Christian Knowledge] and for the Church of England in the British world. In graphic form, it depicted all the missionary and colonial dioceses of the empire; British possessions were hand coloured in red, with churches and missionary stations marked by crosses. Every map carried a printed stamp with the name of the diocese, the coat of arms of the bishop and the date of his consecration.’ (Hilary M. Carey. God’s Empire: Religion and Colonialism in the British World, CUP, 2011, p. 94).
A second edition was published in 1845 and a third in 1850. The first edition is rare.