E. NILSSON & CO.
[MELBOURNE] Congregation outside the Church of Christ, Dandenong, circa 1905
Bromide print photograph, 116 x 158 mm, laid down on its original board mount, recto with with imprint of 'E. Nilsson & Co. 610 High Street, Armadale', verso of mount with contemporary inscription in ink: 'A few of the members of The Church of Christ Dandenong'; the print itself with a few light marks in the sky area; the mount heavily marked and with foxing to both sides.
The Church of Christ, Dandenong, was founded in 1893. A short article in the South Bourke and Mornington Journal, 25 July 1912, records the following:
'The Church of Christ at Dandenong has, during the last few months, made wonderful progress, as was shown on Sunday last. In the morning there was a splendid attendance of members, almost a record being established. In the afternoon, at the Bible School, there was also a large gathering of children, showing how the school has grown in the last few months. The adult Bible Class, which meets in the Temperance Hall, owing to having been crowded out of the Church building, had a record attendance of 58, while the nine other classes were all well filled. In the evening the young men of the Church took charge of the service, which was splendidly attended. A male choir was organised, which contributed several songs, solos also being given by individual Inembers. The announcing of the hymns, the opening prayer, and the reading from the Scriptures were all undertaken by young men who have only recently come into the Church, all of whom carried out their various parts in a very creditable manner. The preaching alone was left to the evangelist (Mr. Lars Larson) who took for his subject, “Is the young man safe?” Upon this topic he delivered a splendid sermon. As a result of this service an addition of four will be made to the Church.'