# 22200

Decorative letterhead of The Brisbane Gas Company (Queensland), dated 1869.

$35.00 AUD

Lithographed letterhead, 165 x 208 mm, with manuscript dated 11 February 1869, being a receipt issued by the Company for its payment of the balance of an account for the delivery of a cargo of coal by Captain McLachlan of the ship “Policeman”; 1d duty stamp affixed; light toning and fold lines, a very good example.

Brisbane’s first commercial gas supply arrived in November 1865 with the opening of the Brisbane Gas Company’s gasworks at Petrie Bight, which supplied the gas for the rapidly expanding city’s street lighting.