NETTLETON, Charles (1826-1902), attributed
General Post Office, corner of Elizabeth and Bourke Streets, Melbourne, late 1860s
Albumen print photograph, carte de visite format, 63 x 102 mm (mount); verso with imprint of ‘W.J. Norman, Wholesale and Retail Looking Glass and Picture Frame Manufacturer, 94 & 170 Elizabeth Street Melbourne’ and contemporary inscription in pencil ‘P.O. Melbourne’; no photographer’s imprint; a strong albumen print with good tonal range, the mount also in fine condition.
In 1859 a design competition was held for a new General Post Office building to replace the original, which dated from the late 1830s. Although the competition was officially won by the architectural firm of Crouch and Wilson, the government selected instead the runner-up entry, a design by architect A.E. Johnson. The building was opened in 1867, although an extension north to Little Bourke Street, part of Johnson’s proposal, was never realised.