HEPBURN & LEONARD
Promissory note for Hepburn and Leonard, stock agents, Ballarat, 1864.
Ballaarat : Printed by W.M. Brown [for Hepburn and Leonard], manuscript date of 13th Sept., 1864. 100 x 210 mm, promising that Donald McKay will pay the company of Hepburn and Leonard the sum of Thirty-six pounds nineteen shillings [MS entry] for stock received, due on 16th October 1864 and payable at the London Chartered Bank, Ballarat. Fine.
The stock agents Benjamin Hepburn and William Leonard operated large saleyards, slaughter yards and bone mills on the Creswick Road, Ballarat from around 1860, the business having been established by Hepburn in 1856. The sale and slaughter yards were a major enterprise. At this time, slaughter yards in the Ballarat area were processing a significantly greater volume of sheep, for example, than their counterparts in Melbourne. A sardonic letter headed Hepburn’s Hippodrome was published in the Ballarat newspaper The Star for 12 March 1861, drawing attention to the public nuisance caused by the behaviour of badly controlled horses outside Hepburn and Leonard’s Lydiard Street offices each Saturday.
Donald McKay (1830-1891) was a farmer from Coghill’s Creek, north of Ballarat.