MURILLO VELARDE, Pedro (1696-1753)
Historia de la Provincia de Philipinas de la Compañia de Jesvs. Segvnda parte, qve comprehende los progresos de esta provincia desde el año de 1616 hasta el de 1716.
En Manila : en la Imprenta de la Compañia de Iesus, por D. Nicolas de la Cruz Bagay, 1749. First edition. Folio, contemporary limp vellum with ties, spine with manuscript title in red and black ink; printed on rice paper; frontispiece full-page engraved plate with depictions of the Virgen de la Rosa and the Virgen de la Paz y Buen Viage, by the Tagalog engraver Laureano Atlas; title leaf printed in red and black and set within decorative border (early ownership inscriptions); folding map of the Philippines engraved by the Filipino Nicolás de la Cruz Bagay (long repaired tear, small amount of restoration with loss, a couple of short tears at folds), ff [xi], 419, ; historiated initials; text in two columns; a few leaves with minor edge tears, occasional browning and light foxing, but a very good copy with the rare and highly sought-after map by Murillo Velarde.
An important history of the Philippines by Pedro Murillo Velarde, Jesuit priest and cartographer, which is a continuation (hence Segunda parte) of Francisco Colín’s Labor Evangelica (Madrid, 1663). Divided into four parts, the work includes sections on the early missions, the conquests of Mindanao and the Marianas, the discovery of Palau, and numerous biographies of significant Jesuit missionaries in the Islands.
This work contains a reduced version of the Murillo Velarde map made for Philip V, originally published in 1734. Sometimes referred to as “Mother of all Philippine Maps”, it shows the maritime routes from Manila to Spain and New Spain.
Pardo de Tavera, Biblioteca Filipina, 1794; Retana, 285 (“one of the most notable works to have been printed in the Philippines”); Palau, 186215; Sabin, 51449.