The history of the College of Bonhommes at Ashridge, in the county of Buckingham, founded in the year 1276, by Edmund, Earl of Cornwall (George Canning’s copy)
Compiled from original records and other authentic sources. To which is added, a description of the present mansion, erected on the site of the ancient college. London : printed by R. Gilbert, 1823. Elephant folio (570 mm tall), papered boards with later calf spine lettered in gilt, binder’s ticket of Wilson, bookplates to front pastedown of Thomas M Lowndes; Reginald Hoskins and Lord Fairhaven; cut signature of Prime Minister George Canning to front free endpaper with contemporary pen inscription ‘This copy was presented to Mr. Canning, at whose sale it was purchased in June 1828’; frontispiece engraving (foxed); pp. vi; contents leaf; double page engraved plan of the College; 94; 10 lithographs printed by Hullmandel; 17 steel and stipple engravings; 2 vignettes and one double page engraved view of the College, all of which are printed Chine-collé and mounted as India proofs; a fine mezzotint portrait of John William, Seventh Earl of Bridgewater (the dedicatee) by Samuel William Reynolds, the double page table at p. 93 neatly detached, some foxing, else very good with wide margins.
A rare large format history of what is now Ashridge House with its fine Regency gardens styled by ‘Capability’ Brown and Humphry Repton. With a distinguished provenance from the libraries of several noblemen and a former Prime Minister of England.