FEARON, Henry B.
[LONDON’S FIRST GIN PALACE] Holborn Hill. Mr. Fearon has discontinued the sale of British spirits.
for glass consumption, but single bottles, and even the smallest quantities of spirits in bottles, can be had as usual. Mr. Fearon continues precisely as heretofore, his varied and extensive Wine business, for consumption both Wholesale and Retail. All the Entrances are in the Court. London : Henry B. Fearon, [c.1836]. Broadside, 255 x 200 mm, on paper watermarked with the date 1836, printed recto only; faint old fold lines and light creasing, otherwise very good.
In 1831 London’s first Gin Palace was built at 94, Holborn Hill, for the licensed victuallers Thompson and Fearon. It was designed by the architect John Papworth, with a spectacular interior by Stephen Geary that was to influence the many similar London establishments that followed in its wake. This broadside dates to the early years of the business, evidently soon after Fearon had become the sole owner.