MALBY & Co.
Malby’s terrestrial globe
Compiled from the latest and most authentic sources, including all the recent geographical discoveries, manufactured and published under the superintendence of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Malby & Sons, Globe & Map Sellers to the Admiralty. Published at the Globe Manufactory, 37 Little Parker Street, Little Queen Street, Holborn, London, [circa 1856]. Twelve inch terrestrial globe, engraved gores over papier mache base, recently waxed and polished, analemma, engraved brass polar calottes, engraved graduated brass meridian and wooden horizon ring (the paper calendar in expert facsimile), mounted by four support struts on turned mahogany stand resting on three fluted balled feet, engraved compass stretcher with magnetic metal dial encased in glass at the base. A fine mid-Victorian floor globe with a rich, warm patina.
The firm of Malby & Co., was started by Thomas Malby Senior around 1839 in Houghton Street, London. The firm later passed to his son, Thomas Malby Junior, with most (if not all) their globes engraved by Charles Malby, his precise relationship to Thomas Malby unclear. Malby published globes of 2, 12, and 18 inches, and in 1849 reissued Addison’s 92cm terrestrial globe, the largest English globe published in the nineteenth century. Malby’s earlier globes drew from maps from the Society of the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (SDUK), from the 1860s, Malby’s cartography was sourced from Edward Stanford.
DEKKER, Elly. Globes at Greenwich. London: Oxford University Press: 1999, p. 404 – 405