# 13471


Mount Gambier Mechanics’ Institute under construction. Southeastern South Australia, circa 1868.

$225.00 AUD

  • Ask a question

Albumen print photograph, carte de visite format, 63 x 103 mm; verso with the imprint of J.T. Ginnings Photographer Mt. Gambier & Portland; the albumen print with some toning, confined to the upper edges; the verso of the mount with a little foxing.

Mount Gambier Institute under construction. The ground floor library, reading rooms and lecture hall were officially opened in 1869 with a “soiree” in the presence of the State Governor. The foundation stone was laid by John Riddoch of Yallum Park in 1868. John Riddoch funded the Institute. He was a local pastoralist, parliamentarian and cultural benefactor. The designer was WT Gore and the contractors were George Avey and Henry Hale. It was extended to cope with increased subscribers in 1887 when a second storey was built and existing rooms were enlarged. The photograph shows the building under construction as having one storey.‘ (SLSA, B 11412)