# 40775

THOMAS, Edmund (1827 - 1867)

Prince’s Bridge, (from the south side of the Yarra) Melbourne

$750.00 AUD

  • Ask a question

Lithographed by J. B. Philp. [Melbourne] : Huxtable & Co. 1853. Tinted lithograph, 215 x 230 mm (plate line), printed caption, framed.

Rare separately issued view of Melbourne from the set of five published by Huxtable in 1853. 

The first bridge across the river Yarra was built in 1843, it was a primitive wooden construction which fell int disuse by 1848. The first stone bridge, the Prince’s Bridge (so named in honour of Albert, Prince of Wales) was opened on 15 November 1851, a few months after the separation of Victoria as its own colony. The bridge linked the two sides of the city throughout the gold rush, before being dismantled in 1884 and the current Princes Bridge being erected in 1886.