PALLADIO, Andrea (1508 - 1580)
Quattro libri dell’ architettura
Venice : Appresso Domenico de’ Franceschi, 1570 (1768). Folio, contemporary quarter vellum over marbled boards (edges lightly rubbed), gilt-lettered morocco label to spine, bookplate removed from front pastedown, pp. 63; 76; 42; 131, colophon, each of the four books with an engraved title page and introductory leaf, with numerous engraved plates and text illustrations, edges speckled red.
Palladio’s famous treatise, Quattro libri dell’ Architettura, first published in Venice in 1570, remains possibly the most influential work on architecture in the Western World. This facsimile edition, illustrated with engravings rather than woodcuts, was published by Joseph Smith, British Consul at Venice and noted art collector, circa 1768. It was intended not as a forgery, but to meet the demand for a textbook occasioned by the eighteenth-century Palladian revival.
‘Palladio’s lasting influence on architectural style in many parts of the world was exercised less through his actual buildings than through his textbook … [which] exerted a powerful influence on contemporary architecture and classical ideals until the end of the eighteenth century’. Printing and the Mind of Man, 92.
It appears that neither the 1570 nor 1768 editions of Palladio are held in Australian libraries.