# 43625

WALTER, Charles (Carl) (1831-1907)

Rev. John Bulmer preaching to his Aboriginal congregation at an open air service at Lake Tyers Mission, circa 1870.

  • Sold

Stereoscopic albumen print photograph, each image approximately 80 x 83 mm, on original plain black card mount, 86 x 175 mm, without photographic imprint; both prints are a little faded, but otherwise in good condition; the mount is clean and stable.

Lake Tyers Mission, in Far East Gippsland, was established in 1863 by Church of England missionary John Bulmer. The reserve became a home for the Gunai/Kurnai people who had survived the invasion of their land by white settlers in the 1840s-50s.

German-born photographer Charles (Carl) Walter is perhaps best known for his series of carte de visite portraits of Aborigines taken at Coranderrk Reserve, near Healesville, in the mid 1860s, but between 1865 and 1870 he also produced stereoviews of scenic locations throughout regional Victoria, and in the early 1870s, southern New South Wales. Keenly interested in the natural sciences, he also carried out work for the Technological Museum at the Public Library of Victoria and for the Victorian Department of Agriculture, as well as collecting botanical specimens for von Mueller.

The State Library of Victoria (ID 1801621) holds another example of Walter’s famous stereoscopic photograph of Bulmer preaching at Lake Tyers, which has the yellow card mount most commonly used by Walter for his stereoviews. It is possible that the present example, on a black mount, was a near-contemporary pirate printing.