# 41675

ST. JOSEPH'S SOCIETY FOR FOREIGN MISSIONS

St. Joseph’s Society for Foreign Missions collection box, circa 1930.

$220.00 AUD

  • Ask a question

[Mill Hill, London : The Society, ca. 1930]. Wooden box, 160 x 115 x 70 mm, with chromolithographic labels on the top and four sides; the label on the top of the box is worded ‘St. Joseph’s Society for Foreign Missions’, with another label added at a later date reading ‘and the Association for the Propagation of the Faith’; below this is the text of letter from Pius IX to Herbert Vaughan; each of the four sides is illustrated; surface wear commensurate with extensive use.

This Catholic mission society was founded by Cardinal Herbert Vaughan in 1866, when he established St. Joseph’s Missionary College in a villa near Mill Hill, about ten miles north of London. This soon grew into a sizeable training institution for missionaries, run by priests and lay brothers, to propagate the Gospel among unevangelised communities outside Europe, especially in East and Central Africa, India, Borneo, and the Philippines. The Society is also unofficially known as the Mill Hill Missionaries.