NIXON, Francis Russell (1803-1879)
The cruise of the Beacon. A narrative of a visit to the islands in Bass’s Straits.
With illustrations; by the Right Rev. Francis R. Nixon, D. D. Bishop of Tasmania. London : Bell & Daldy, 1857. Octavo, gilt lettered blue cloth (edges rubbed, split to upper joint), engraved title page and frontispiece; letterpress title page; pp. 114; ; [24 – publisher’s catalogue, dated June, 1857], pp. 14-15 roughly opened, eight additional engraved plates, internally clean.
An illustrated account of a two month expedition undertaken to the islands in Bass Strait, between Tasmania and Victoria, by the first Bishop of Tasmania. Includes a description of the Aboriginal population, ‘nearly extinct’. ‘Engravings after his sketches provide a vivid visual dimension to Nixon’s narrative which is an important link between the earlier visits to the Bass Strait islands by Stokes (1846) and the later visits by Brownrigg (1872).’ – Ian Wilson, Collecting Old Tasmanian Books, Melbourne, 2010, p. 44.
Ferguson 13424; Wilson 126