TROEDEL, Charles (1836-1906), publisher
The Melbourne album. Containing a series of views of Melbourne & country districts.
Respectfully dedicated to, and patronized by His Excellency Sir Charles Darling, K.C.B.. by the lithographer and publisher, Charles Troedel. 73, Collins St. E. Melbourne. Melbourne : Charles Troedel, circa 1864. Oblong folio, 412 x 535 mm, publisher’s half red roan over gilt-lettered green cloth (edges rubbed, spine split), front free endpaper creased with edge loss, rear free endpaper removed, lithographed wrapper bound in as title page, twelve fine tinted lithographs of Melbourne and regional Victoria; occasional foxing.
One of the great Australian colourplate books, ‘perhaps the finest work of urban topography produced in Australia in the nineteenth century’ (Wantrup).
Troedel’s Melbourne Album was originally issued in twelve monthly parts, the first advertisement for subscribers was placed in the Argus on 25 July 1863 and the last issue finished in November 1864 (Butler). No set in the original wrappers is known to still exist. Each part contained two lithographs, and later in 1864 a bound version was published with all twenty-four lithographs. At the end of that year or early in 1865, a shortened version of twelve images was issued, as offered here. The composition of the plates in the shortened version varies per copy; some issues have variant imprints. The lithographs were prepared by noted lithographers Cogné and Gilks, amongst others, after original paintings by Nicholas Chevalier, Eugene von Guérard, Henry Gritten and others. Two plates are after original photographs by Nettleton and Morris, and two plates depict Aboriginal subjects.
The plates included in this set are:
- Queens Wharf. (Yarra Yarra 1864). Inscribed in plate lower left : F. Cogné drawn & lith.
- Merry Creek. (Plenty Ranges. 1864)
- Elizabeth Street. (1864). Inscribed in plate lower left : Ed. Gilks, lith. Inscribed in plate lower centre : Nettleton, photo.
- View from Studley Park. (1864)
- Flinders Street. From the Melbourne Railway Station. Inscribed in plate lower right : Ed. Gilks, lith. Inscribed in plate lower left : A. Morris & Co., photo.
- View of the Upper Mitta Mitta. From an oil painting by E. von Guerard, the property of F. Kawerau. Esqr.
- View on Eastern Hill (from a half way house, Albert Street.) Inscribed in plate lower centre : H. Gritten, pinx.
- St. Kilda. From Kenny’s Bath
- The Eastern Market from top of Whittington Tavern. Signed in plate lower left: J. B. Philp lithogr. Inscribed in plate lower right : Hy. Gritten Del.
- Wentworth River Diggings Gipps Land. From a picture by N. Chevalier.
- Nicholson Street. (Fitzroy).
- Mount Abrupt and The Grampians. From a painting by N. Chevalier. Signed with the artist’s monogram in the image lower centre.
A fine illustrated record of colonial Melbourne during the boom of the gold rush.
Ferguson, 17323-17326, Wantrup 262c; Butler, Roger, Printed images in Colonial Australia 1801 – 1901, pp. 167 – 172 (illustrated)