# 43187

Photographer unknown.

The second Deutscher Turn Verein (German Club) building in Vulture Street, Brisbane. Possibly taken on the day of its opening, 24 May 1890.

  • Sold

Very large format sepia tone gelatin silver photograph, 250 x 345 mm; no photographer’s imprint; in good condition, with a faint horizontal crease near bottom edge; verso with some old paper adhesions.

The Deutscher Turn Verein, or German Club, has been the centre for promoting German culture, language and music in Brisbane since the late nineteenth century, and lays claim to being the oldest ethnic club in Queensland. After the first clubhouse in Manning Street, South Brisbane was destroyed by fire in February 1889, members purchased a larger block of land in Vulture Street, Woolloongabba and built a new clubhouse with funds provided by the German Consul. This second home of the club was opened on 24 May 1890.