# 42003

WOMEN'S WORK OF THE METHODIST MISSIONARY SOCIETY

Women’s Work of the Methodist Missionary Society collection box, circa 1932.

$250.00 AUD

  • Ask a question

[London, UK : Methodist Missionary Society, ca. 1932]. Wooden box, 125 x 75 x 75 mm, with chromolithographic labels on five sides; the label on the top of the box is worded: METHODIST MISSIONARY SOCIETY / WOMENS’ WORK / LIGHTED TO LIGHTEN; the four sides have pictorial labels depicting women missionaries at work, captioned TEACH ALL NATIONS ; HEAL THE SICK ; PREACH THE GOSPEL; and SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN TO COME UNTO ME, respectively; the non-illustrated label on the underside of the box is heavily worn and only partially legible; the other sides have surface wear commensurate with extensive use.

‘The union in 1932 of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, Primitive Methodist Church and United Methodist Church to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain, brought together the women’s work of all three former missionary societies. These comprised the Women’s Department of the Wesleyan Methodist Missionary Society, the Women’s Missionary Federation of the Primitive Methodist Missionary Society and the United Methodist Women’s Missionary Auxiliary, which were amalgamated to form a department of the Methodist Missionary Society (MMS) known as ‘Women’s Work of the MMS’ (WW). The department acted under the direction of the General Committee of the MMS. A Women’s Work Sectional Committee was also appointed, including nominated representatives from the District Women’s Councils. This Committee was responsible for the selection and training of women missionaries, consideration and direction of policy, raising and administration of funds, and all correspondence with missionaries. The General Secretaries undertook supervision of work in the field and at home. The Women’s Work Committee met monthly and made recommendations to the General Committee of the MMS. On a District level, there was a Women’s Missionary Council for each District, which included members of the Circuit Women’s Work Committee. Each District Council had an executive committee, and each nominated a representative to the Women’s Work Committee at the London Headquarters. There were also committees associated with each local church.’ (SOAS, University of London)